We have four properties available for hire
- Bitton Guide HQ
- BP Boathouse
- County HQ
What is Briarlands?
Girlguiding Bristol & South Gloucestershire bought the Briarlands site in Upton Cheyney in 1996 after a successful fundraising campaign. It originally consisted of two camping areas and basic facilities, including toilets, a small kitchen and a wet-weather room. However, following a £400,000 Development Project carried out after three years of fund-raising we now have an all-weather, fully-accessible activity centre with accommodation, which was completed in 2014. This can be used all year round by all members of community groups within Bristol, Bath and surrounding Counties. Because of its location, size and security, it will offer a unique experience in the area.
Whilst the site is owned by Girlguiding Bristol & South Gloucestershire, the facilities at Briarlands are available to any voluntary organisation, school, church and community group. Current bookings include guides, scouts, rangers, air cadets, boys brigade, martial arts groups, a local church group and local schools. Local organisations also use it for meetings, evening events and fundraisers. It is a much used resource, benefitting many thousands of young people every year.
Visiit Briarlands website
Our New Accommodation
Outside shot of building
Activity / Accommodation Centre - "Brooks Lodge"
Our Activity and Accommodation Centre compromises of:
Large activities room
Four bedrooms with up to six beds in each. One of these is fully accessible
Bathroom facilities including accessible toilets and showers
Two adult bedrooms with en-suite facilities
Kitchen with large walk-in storage area
Fully accessible, the new Facilities Block consists of:
10 toilet cubicles
10 shower cubicles
10 wash basins
Two camping fields are in front of the Activity Centre. The whole area is fully enclosed
Brooks Lodge Charges - valid until December 2018
CHARGE PER NIGHT
Girlguiding Bristol and South Glos
Out of County Guides, Scouts and other uniformed organisations
Schools and other hirers
Sleeps a maximum of 37 in four dorms and 2 leader/staff rooms
Red rooms sleeps 5 (2 bunks 1 single) Green room sleeps 10 (5 bunks) blue room sleeps 8 (4 bunks) Yellow room sleeps 8 (4 bunks)
Leader rooms 1 bunk and 1 single in each both ensuite
NB children under the age of 6 are not permitted in the top bunk
Campsite Charges - valid until December 2018
|Camp unequipped site||£4.50 person per night||£5.50 person per night|
|Camp equipped site||£5.00 ppn||N/A|
|Day||£3.00 person||£3.50 person|
|Evening||£17.50 per group||£30.00 per group|
If you wish to hire both campsites then a minimum charge of 50 people applies.
Campers have no access to indoor facilities or patio area
A fridge and freezer for campers is in the end store
Toilet and shower block for use of campers
Camping is only permitted on the designated campsites
Equipment put up/left up outside the dates booked is at the discretion of the committee and may incur extra charges.
Outside views of Brooks Lodge
Bitton Guide HQ
Are you looking to book your next Indoor Holiday or Sleepover? Or perhaps your unit's next one day event?
How about Bitton Guide and Brownie HQ?
It is available weekends (Friday to Sunday) and also during the week during school holidays.
There are indoor and outdoor facilities, a fully fitted kitchen, toilets and a shower.
List of charges:
Overnight per 24 hrs: £75
Whole Day: £50
AM or PM or Eve only: £25
Charges per 24 hours include gas, electricity and water.
Maximum number is 24, including leaders, for overnight visits
A £25 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit is required to secure the booking.
A badge is available at a cost of £1 each. Please order before your visit.
Main Hall (and girls sleeping area)
Kitchen Meeting room (and leaders sleeping area)
Bitton HQ in use:
The Benjamin Perry Boathouse is an excellent base for visits and expeditions into central Bristol and further afield, being close to key attractions and places of historic interest.
It can be booked for simple, inexpensive overnight stays and sleepovers for about 20 people. By arrangement it can also be used for meetings or social events by adult members of the Scout and Guide Movements and by community and youth groups.
The wooden building is on two floors with external staircases (access is therefore limited for those with restricted mobility). The ground floor and boat yard are used for canoe and boat storage and maintenance.
The upper floor is a large meeting room, seating 40 people, with fine views overlooking the harbour.
The kitchen has a fridge, electric cooker and microwave oven, and limited crockery and cooking equipment
Toilet facilities, changing annexe and showers are available for both sexes.
The building is situated on Phoenix Wharf below Redcliffe Parade. Approach from Redcliffe Hill, then Guinea Street - at sharp bend turn right, go past 'The Ostrich' pub on to the Wharf.
Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station, with trains to all parts, is a 10-minute walk. Bristol Airport is 30 minutes away by road. A 10-minute walk brings you to Bedminster Parade with many shops, supermarket, Post Office and food outlets. There are frequent buses, with ferries across the harbour.
Briarlands Guide Activity Centre and Woodhouse Park Scout Activity & Camping Centre are within half an hour's drive.
Limited parking is available on the Wharf next to the Boathouse. with public metered parking available close by on Redcliffe Parade and Guinea Street.
Places of Interest
There are numerous tourist attractions and places of interest within easy reach of the Boathouse:
SS Great Britain & Exhibition Centre
The Matthew: a replica of John Cabot's ship
Maritime Heritage Centre
Clifton Suspension Bridge & Visitor Centre
St Mary Redcliffe Parish Church
Bristol Zoo & Gardens
Bristol Aquarium & IMAX Theatre
Cabot Tower on Brandon Hill
Watershed Media Centre
Corn Exchange & 'Nails'
Clifton Observatory & Camera obscurra
Harbour and Narrow Boat trips
City Museum & Art Gallery
St Nicholas Church Museum
Harvey's Wine Museum
The earliest record of Benjamin Perry that can be found is in 1859 when he was operating as a warehouse keeper and carrier, then aged about 24 years. He died in 1902 at the age of 67 but the business continued with his sons. From 1874 until the 1980s the company retained offices in Temple Street, Bristol.
Benjamin Perry became a member of the City Council Docks Committee in 1897, at which date the company was agent to a variety of railway and shipping companies. Their activities were listed as warehouseman, hauliers and shipping agents with cold storage facilities. In 1881 & 1895 major fires destroyed some of the warehouses. These were subsequently rebuilt.
In the 20th century, the firm increasingly centred on the new Docks at Avonmouth, operating a stevedore business, using tugs and lighters, towing cargoes around both Avonmouth and Bristol Docks and harbour. The building adds considerable historical interest to the water front of the old Bristol Docks and has seen many uses. At one time it was open sided to facilitate off loading from sailing vessels, with tramways for moving goods between adjacent sheds. The building is next to the curious Redcliffe Caves where sand was excavated to make glass, the result caverns being used to store many famous Bristol cargoes. The building was part of a complex for loading/unloading & storage and later as a maintenance base for teh company fleet of tugs and barges. In the 1970s, the City Council kept surplus road signs there!
In 1982 the building was carefully restored by Scouts and Guides to retain its character. Since then it has been used by thousands of young people from the Bristol area, from all over the UK and from as far afield as USA and Canada. Its interesting character means the building often features in films and TV. It is also a meeting place for local community groups including artists, actors, poets and photographers.
The County has owned Westmoreland Hall since 1934; what wonderful stories those walls could tell! In the early years it was owned by two districts in the north of the City,
With the formation of the Avon North Girl Guide County in 1974 it was taken over by the County who undertook a massive renovation and turned it into the well-kept building which we have today. Our County Administrator is based in this building.
HQ has a WiFi connection and a projector and screen for presentations.